25.3.08

The 25th of March ... the perspective from a Greek-American.


Greetings to my cousins and all others that support the wonderful island of Kalymnos. It is with great pleasure that I share with you the Greek-American perspective of March 25th.


First ... some background. Although I was born in the United States, a land of many cultures, I was raised by parents that loved their home country ... Greece. My father (from Kalymnos) and my mother (from Crete) made every effort to ensure their American born children were exposed to all things that are Greek.
"... Ο πατέρας (από Κάλυμνο) και η μητέρα(από Κρήτη) έκαναν το παν για να σιγουρέψουν ότι τα παιδιά τους θα εμφανίζονται σε οτιδήποτε Ελληνικο !"

This began by teaching us the Greek language (which was my first tongue) and continued with enrolling us in "Greek School" ... a program supported by the local Greek Orthodox Church to assist Greek-American children to speak, read, and write Greek.
"Αυτό άρχισε με την διδασκαλία των Ελληνικών (πρώτη μου γλώσσα) και συνεχίστηκε με το Ελληνικό σχολείο..."

Beyond this, there were countless numbers of activities, festivals, celebrations, holidays, and visits to Greece which made me who I am today ... a proud Greek-American.
"Εκτός αυτού , υπήρχαν αναρίθμητες δραστηριότητες,εκδηλώσεις,επέτειοι,γιορτές και επισκέψεις στην Ελλάδα , που με έκαναν αυτό που είμαι σήμερα..ένας περήφανος ΕΛΛΗΝΟ-Αμερικάνος"

Regarding March 25th ... as I reflect back on my childhood, I have many memories of this celebration ... most of them involving the Greek School Independence Day program. The typical program would include everyone dressing in traditional costumes, singing songs, reciting poems, and performing various dances. Of course, what's a celebration without wonderful food!
"... Το συνηθισμένο πρόγραμμα (25ης Μαρτίου) περιελάμβανε ντύσιμο με παραδοσιακές στολές,τραγούδια,ποιήματα και χορούς."

Although those moments have passed now, it is time for the cycle to begin all over again. I am now a father with four children hoping that I can inspire each of them to be as proud of Greece as I am. Unfortunately, the challenge is greater. With each generation that passes in the United States, the effort to maintain the same love of culture becomes increasingly harder ... but we continue to try.
"Αν και αυτές οι στιγμές είναι παρελθόν,ο κύκλος επαναλαμβάνεται.Είμαι πατέρας με τέσσερα παιδιά, που ελπίζω να τα εμπνεύσω να είναι περήφανα για την Ελλάδα,όπως εγώ.."

And so the tradition now continues with my children attending Greek School, hoping they can learn a few things ... and have a few fond memories in the future.
"Έτσι η παράδοση συνεχίζεται με τα παιδιά μου να παρακολουθούν το Ελληνικό σχολείο,ελπίζοντας να μάθουν κάτι ... και να θυμούνται και κάτι στο μέλλον!"

I hope you enjoy this picture of my son Andrew. He is truly a Greek soldier to be proud of.
Ελπίζω να σας αρέσει η φωτογραφία του γιού μου Ανδρέα . Είναι πραγματικός "τσολιάς" και είμαι υπερήφανος !

ZHTO H ELLAS!

1 σχόλιο:

  1. AGAPITE SAKKELARI ,
    GNORIZONTAS TIN DYSKOLIA SOY NA GRAPSEIS STA ELLINIKA,THA SOY METAFERO TIN HARA OLON MAS GIA TIN SYMMETOHI SOY STO BLOG. ENAS LOGOS PARAPANO ,POU O ANDREAS MAS THYMISE TO POS NIOTHOUN TA ELLINOPOULA STIN AMERIKI! EMEIS SYGINITHIKAME POLY , ALLA NOMIZO OTI DEN EIMASTE MONON EMEIS ... ELPIZO NA ARESEI TO BLOG KAI SE ALLOUS ELLINARES TIS AMERIKIS!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή

ΕΚΔΗΛΩΣΗ ΓΙΑ ΤΟΥΣ ΣΦΟΥΓΓΑΡΑΔΕΣ ΣΤΗΝ ΕΣΤΙΑ ΝΕΑΣ ΣΜΥΡΝΗΣ !

ΑΠΟ ΤΟΝ ΝΙΚΟΛΑ ΣΜΑΛΙΟ